Postcode: 4565 | Distance to Noosa Heads: 7km
Noosa region, Sunshine Coast
National Parks, village lifestyle, Noosa River
Tewantin is located on the
Noosa River and is about 8km west of Noosa Heads.
Located 165 kilometres from Brisbane, Tewantin
features national parks and provides its residents
with a village lifestyle.
The Noosa River is a popular location for people who
enjoy fishing and water sports.
Tewantin was founded in 1870, with the early industries of timber and fishing contributing to the small township's prosperity.Timber was sourced from the surrounding forests, milled at Elanda Point and Tewantin and loaded onto large sailing ships for transportation to Brisbane. Tewantin is the departure point for ferries to Noosa's North Shore and the Cooloola National Park.
The name Tewantin is an anglicised version of the Aboriginal name for the area, dauwadhum, meaning place of dead logs. Tewantin was originally a timber town. In 1869, Tewantin was the river port for the Noosa area. In 1871 Clarendon Stuart surveyed a town site for the Tewantin settlement. Tewantin was a thriving small town with a reliance on the gold, fishing and timber industries.
Facilities and layout
Its main street, Poinciana Avenue, leads to the Tewantin RSL, which holds a strong legacy towards the Australia's history in war. With an ANZAC Memorial, Poinciana Ave has a historic pub, the Royal Mail. Poinciana Avenue contains a range of shops, restaurants and a town square.
Tewantin is the current location for the Australian Navy Cadet unit of NTS Noosa. Tewantin was historically the location for Noosa Council until March 2008.
Tewantin State School, a primary school that was established in 1875, is located within the suburb.